Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Catching up

Over at Street Prophets, Pastor Dan somewhat apologetically posted Progressive Faith Blog Convention, Again--starting the post with Okay, I'm going to stop talking about this soon. Real soon.

No rush--I still haven't managed to *read* anything about it. We got back from a trip to visit family in Chicago late Sunday night--it was in the 90s and we were in a car with two dogs, one cockatoo, and two kids. And then the car died. It turned out *this* time that all we needed was a jump start, which we eventually got from a state trooper.

Something very similar happened last June, except that *that* time, we weren't able to get the car going again and had to borrow a car from my mom and dad to get home. On the other hand, we only had one dog with us at the time, and I don't think the weather had been quite as beastly hot. I took this guy

out on a leash to give him some water, and several people stopped to help us. Lassie in distress! We must help! What is it, girl? (Boy, actually, in this case. And in the Lassie movies, come to think of it...).

Well, this time, thinking the same thing was worth a try--Demetrius already was pulled over to the side of the road, had the hood up, and was holding the jumper cables out the window to show that we had that necessary piece already. I stepped out to give Brady and Winnie

some water. This time, it didn't work. Eventually, after calling my parents and asking them to look it up, we discovered that we *were* supposed to call 911 (didn't want to do that unneccessarily) to contact roadside assistance, and a state trooper came to give us a jump start. In order to avoid any extra strain on the battery, we didn't turn the CD player on for the rest of the trip. Or the TV we had brought. Or the fan.

While I'm whining about things--I couldn't connect to the internet on my Sidekick anywhere in Indiana.

So it ended up being a blessing that the temp project I was supposed to start was postponed a day, because I really needed a day to recover from all that.

Bottom line, though, is that I haven't even *started* to read about the Progressive Faith Blog Convention yet.

Alternate link for comments