Monday, July 03, 2006

More excerpts from Katharine Jefferts Schori's NPR interview

Additional excerpts from Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's interview on NPR's Diane Rehm show on Thursday, June 29.

Diane Rehm: Bishop Jefferts Schori, I gather you're also a pilot. Tell us how that came about.

Katharine Jefferts Schori: Well, my father was a Navy fighter pilot. He is still flying--not fighters, but other things. It was in the family all the time I was growing up. We used to, in the summertime, in a small airplane from Jersey to Seattle and then back again. He told me, when I was in high school that when I passed the written examination for a pilot's license, that he would pay for flying lessons. And when I was in the middle of college, I did that. And sent him the bill!

DR aks how KJS differs from the outgoing Presiding Bishop, Frank Griswold.

He's been a remarkably effective leader through troubled times. I think all times have their troubles...but he's been remarkably clear and focused on reconciliation, which *is* the fundamental work of the church. We express it in different ways in different places and at different seasons, but reconciliation is what we're about. And he has *continued* to call this church, over and over and over again to the primary work of reconciliation. And he's been an enormous gift. I said to him and to the deputies at convention after I was elected that I think he has many more gifts to give us all, and I hope that he will be present and active in the church's life for many many years to come.

What differences do you see?

We come out of different generations, and different experiences, so of course there will be differences. I was trained in a different season. I come with a different kind of background, and certainly people will see differences. But I don't think they are central doctrinal differences--I think they are more matters of style.

Alternate link for comments