Monday, November 21, 2005

Liberal church audited for anti-war stance

Liberal Church Audited for Anti War Stance

Here's the web site of All Saints Church, with more on this subject. Here's the action taken by Linda in Cincinnati, including the information you need if you'd like to help challenge the double standard that is evident here. (Apparently politics from the pulpit are only a problem when they are *liberal* politics.)

Linda*in*Cincinnati wrote on November 8, 2005 12:13 PM:

I am sitting here on hold at
1 877 829 5500
The tax exempt line at the IRS.

I posed a couple of questions to them and I have now been transferred 3 times and now I'm holding on an eternal music loop.

Question 1
Are they telling me an anti war service at a church is considered political and tied to an election (because that is the law with separation of church and state). I thought people of all policital parties could be for peace and it didn't tie it to an election.

so, 2nd questions,

2. Are they telling me they will now investigate and pull churches tax exempt status if they ARE involved in elections. Because I have a list of churches from Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia that I would like to give them for the IRS to pull their tax exempt status for influencing and threatening their members to specifically vote a particular way in an election.

I assume that is why I have now been on hold for at least 15 minutes.

Linda*in*Cincinnati wrote on November 8, 2005 12:51 PM:
OK,

The good news.

I spoke with a very nice gentleman at the IRS named Mike. He said he AGREED that the churches pushed the envelope on the last election and overstepped their 503C status.

He said I can write a letter in support of the Church that is being investigated for their Anti War Service (which he agreed if that is all they did, nothing against their 503C status was done) to the same place I am asking churches to be investigated for violating their 503C status by getting involved in an election.

Here you go folks. TAKE ACTION. THis is what you've been waiting for. If you know of a church that was directing people to vote a specific way on an election file a complaint, give as much detail about the institution and mail it to.

Exam Referral
E O IRS-Capital EO Classification
4910 DAL
1100 Commerce St.
Dallas, TX 75242-1198

Give complete details. You will stay confidential and do not have to give your name and phone number if you don't want, but is reccomended.