Thursday, August 03, 2006

Maggie Kuhn, born this day in 1905

I found out via the web site of the Humanist Community of Central Ohio that Maggie Kuhn, who was Humanist of the Year in 1978, was born on August 3, 1905. I had heard one of her famous quotes, "Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes" long before I knew who said those words. A few months ago I finally decided to go Googling to find out who the quote was attributed to, and then was duly impressed when I read the story of this woman, who founded the Gray Panthers.

From the Gray Panthers web site:

Maggie Kuhn started the Gray Panthers in 1970 as a response to her forced retirement at age 65. She led a remarkable life, integrating people of all ages in working for social and economic justice. Maggie's voice and activism remain central to what the Gray Panthers stand for today.
In honor of her birthday, I'd like to share some links about Maggie Kuhn.

Daily Celebrations~Maggie Kuhn, Speak Your Mind~August 3

National Women's Hall of Fame

Independent Lens: Maggie Growls (PBS documentary)





Alternate link for comments