Monday, March 06, 2006

Listening for, and acting upon, one's call

I just put my second podcast online. When I came home from church yesterday, my husband Demetrius told me that he'd listened to the first one I did.

Oh? Pause. "That was very brave of you." Quizzical expression. "Brave?" Sometimes "brave" can be a nice way of saying "stupid". We used to watch the British political comedy, Yes, Minister, and there was a joke on that show that the word "courageous" was code for "political suicide". He's a sweetie, and I was pretty sure he didn't mean it that way, but I was feeling a bit insecure about my recent leap into uncharted territory.

He went on to explain that it seemed "out of character" for me. Well, yeah. I get a little nervous when I have to make a phone call, for crying out loud, so how did I summon the courage to do this? And what reason did I have for doing this that made it worth pushing past that nervousness and getting into "Just do it!" mode.

Short answer? God told me to. I explore what that means in today's podcast.